Any results or thoughts on 143 kit WITHOUT cam and head? - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Any results or thoughts on 143 kit WITHOUT cam and head?

I'm figuring that I will start with the 143 standard kit that includes the Piston, cylinder, and gaskets. It appears that I can run this with a fuel controller intake and exhaust and get a performance boost without adding the cam and head yet.
I assume I will probably end up adding the head and cam but I'm wondering if anyone knows of the results or progress of running the Tb standard kit as is? Or if anyone knows of any threads of such.
I am also eager to hear of people running the 143 kit with the cam but still no race head. forgive me if there are other threads on this but I didn't find any. Most seem to either not address what all they are using it in the 143 or it's the full kit with the head. Thanks for any insight fellow Z'ers
DrProctor likes this.
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 12:05 PM

Garage
I think this primarily depends on how much time you have to wrench on the bike and how big the discount is to buy the BBK and head at the same time. Plenty of people have run the BBK with stock head and are pleased with the performance, but you are correct in thinking it's a half measure.

If you don't save much cash and don't mind spending more time working on your engine I don't see any reason not to enjoy the 143BBK while you pinch pennies for the head. The other big cost would be tuning. If you have an auto tuner or a source of canned "close enough" tunes to run the BBK and OEM head it is cost effective, if you are paying for a second dyno visit to run the halfway set-up it would seem like wasted money.

Mind you, I have a stock Z, someone with actual knowledge will be more helpful.

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-08-2019, 05:04 PM

You will like it. The power will drop off towards the redline but you cant go wrong its a nice boost down low and in the mid.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:07 AM

Location: Parksville (Vancouver Island), British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrown12345 View Post
You will like it. The power will drop off towards the redline but you cant go wrong its a nice boost down low and in the mid.
Yes, the mod will NOT give you any higher top speed, as you are way past the power peak at top speed, and will run out of intake air. But the low and midrange power will be better than stock.

Jim G
mnnthbx likes this.
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Vendor

All true. Almost no extra top speed, but better power through the middle for sure, and it's cheap and easy. If it's in the budget, be aware the stock head is THE weak link, and power goes way up once you replace it. Feel free to contact us anything with questions. We do too many 144 kits to count, use them ourselves, tune for them, and love it all...

Continually innovating USA made product for the Z125.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 12:55 PM

@mnnthbx , do you guys lap the valves before shipping out a new head or is that something you recommend the customer to do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ando View Post
I think this primarily depends on how much time you have to wrench on the bike and how big the discount is to buy the BBK and head at the same time. Plenty of people have run the BBK with stock head and are pleased with the performance, but you are correct in thinking it's a half measure.

If you don't save much cash and don't mind spending more time working on your engine I don't see any reason not to enjoy the 143BBK while you pinch pennies for the head. The other big cost would be tuning. If you have an auto tuner or a source of canned "close enough" tunes to run the BBK and OEM head it is cost effective, if you are paying for a second dyno visit to run the halfway set-up it would seem like wasted money.

Mind you, I have a stock Z, someone with actual knowledge will be more helpful.
Thanks man
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrown12345 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnthbx View Post
All true. Almost no extra top speed, but better power through the middle for sure, and it's cheap and easy. If it's in the budget, be aware the stock head is THE weak link, and power goes way up once you replace it. Feel free to contact us anything with questions. We do too many 144 kits to count, use them ourselves, tune for them, and love it all...
@mnnthbx Thanks for the reply! I decided to add to cam and throttle body as well. Can I ask your thoughts on having the stock head ported along with a 32mm throttle body with ported manifold compared to doing the same with a race head and the same throttle body?
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-09-2019, 01:48 PM

I would rather do a TB head than larger throttle body. If you are pulling the head (to go big bore) and replacing the cam, its about the same amount of work as replacing the head.
mnnthbx likes this.

[This space for rent]
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 01:15 AM Thread Starter

@crakerbox I feel you. I actually just ordered the full Tb143 kit with head and a Hoedar. going to go ahead and order the throttle body to and have it all ported when it gets here. Then maybe a primary gear/clutch and then I need to give my wife my credit card because this is too addicting
lol
I did score a full 143 kit from a dealer that had a buyer back out for 500 shipped and scored the hoedar for 425 shipped so I'm happy! feeling impatient but at least everything should be done before spring

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page