First Oil Screen Inspection - Page 5 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 04:53 PM Thread Starter

Jim for your other question about WOT... yes. Absolutely. Wide open on hills to get 55 mph. On flats I could maintain that speed around 85-90% open.

I weigh 155 in my birthday suit. Also had a pretty heavy rack and a 30 lb very un-aerodynamic bag strapped to the back. Add a head wind and a hill and the bike is working pretty hard to maintain those speeds.

This is stock intake, stock exhaust with Ka'wee mod which essentially deletes the 2nd cat, but pretty much stock airflow.

My gf is about 108 plus gear, and had a much smaller bag on her bike, much smaller/lighter (ie store bought- I'd never hear the end of it if I fab'd a rack for her and my crap welds didn't hold) rack, and she could have passed me on the hills.
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 05:31 PM

Garage
These last dozen posts are most certainly in the wrong thread... Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Vacations are less fun when you are tracking things like gas mileage.
True for most. For me, my desire for uninterrupted data is greater than my desire to save 60 seconds at each fillup. It's always strangely liberating filling someone else's car or a rental and just getting back in the car... or *GASP* not even topping it off.
MrEvilpirate likes this.

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 12:12 AM

Location: Parksville (Vancouver Island), British Columbia, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvilpirate View Post
Just checked my credit card tons of gas stops lol average about $4.80.

I'm going to guestimate $2.80 per gal average.

That works out to about 1.7 gal each stop, 0.85 gal per bike, over about 80 miles each fillup is about 94 mpg.

This is down and dirty math but I would wager it is accurate within 5%.
That's very good considering the terrain you were riding in and the speed you were maintaining!

Jim G

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:38 PM

81 is the max I've seen, the lowest is 75.

'17 Z125 PRO - Candy Lime Green
Shorty LeversSeat Strap DeleteLED City & Tag LightsVagabond Fender Eliminator
90 Valve stems15wt Fork OilZOom Loop ExhaustHD Clutch KitProTaper Mini High w/ 1.25" Risers
ODI Lock-on Grips w/ KLX110 Throttle CamPT420MX ChainEbay SpoolsYoshi RS2 db KillerMictuning H4 LEDOE Intake

'07 Tuono Factory - Red Lion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Psalm 121
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 04:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobot View Post
If you see debris on the oil pump screen then it is doing it's job. All the sealant, paint, metal that is shed off gears, etc drops down in the crankcase sump and most is removed when the oil is drained. The oil pump inlet is down there also and that screen keeps the big particles out while the oil passes through and into the paper filter before going to the bearings. The screen is big enough that it only needs occasional cleaning and not every time you change the oil. You'll notice much less debris at later inspections.
Just to add to Lobot's excellent summation of the oil screens function: As all new engines are assembled using various kinds of lube grease, such as Molybdenum, to protect all those dry metal on metal surfaces at that very first initial start-up, this is the goop you're finding on that screen. The last two bikes I bought new had the screens behind the drain plugs, making it much easier to access. As Lobot suggested, the engine could run many miles without any harm before agonizing over servicing the screen immediately.
Probably sooner than later a clutch upgrade will be required, and a good time to address the screen.

I NEVER MET A BIKE I DIDN'T LIKE
JP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page