First Oil Screen Inspection - Page 3 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 04:30 PM

If you see debris on the oil pump screen then it is doing it's job. All the sealant, paint, metal that is shed off gears, etc drops down in the crankcase sump and most is removed when the oil is drained. The oil pump inlet is down there also and that screen keeps the big particles out while the oil passes through and into the paper filter before going to the bearings. The screen is big enough that it only needs occasional cleaning and not every time you change the oil. You'll notice much less debris at later inspections.
Kaw'ee and scootertrash like this.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 06:19 PM

Just think, if you had a grom, that would be your oil filter.

'17 Z125 PRO - Candy Lime Green
Shorty LeversSeat Strap DeleteLED City & Tag LightsVagabond Fender Eliminator
90 Valve stems15wt Fork OilZOom Loop ExhaustHD Clutch KitProTaper Mini High w/ 1.25" Risers
ODI Lock-on Grips w/ KLX110 Throttle CamPT420MX ChainEbay SpoolsYoshi RS2 db KillerMictuning H4 LEDOE Intake

'07 Tuono Factory - Red Lion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Psalm 121
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 09:20 PM

Does anyone have a part number for the screen and also the case/cover gasket please? I'm so glad that you all posted about this because I had no idea that this serviceable screen filter existed. I just got my Z on 7-21 and the folks at the dealership said to wait to do the first oil change until I get 200 miles on it, just like it states in the manual. Should I clean this screen out during my first oil change?

post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Fader View Post
That was actually the tipping point for me, real filter vs. oil slinger. Well that and the extra $200 Kawasaki offered when I bought mine.
Fox Fader likes this.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 502Z125 View Post
Does anyone have a part number for the screen and also the case/cover gasket please? I'm so glad that you all posted about this because I had no idea that this serviceable screen filter existed. I just got my Z on 7-21 and the folks at the dealership said to wait to do the first oil change until I get 200 miles on it, just like it states in the manual. Should I clean this screen out during my first oil change?
I have inspected a lot of these screens and have never seen one close to being clogged up. It is round so that debris can easily fall off and go out the drain. It is made of nylon so it doesn't need to be replaced, just spray it with contact cleaner or blow it off with an air nozzle. The vast majority of bikes will run for 1000's of miles before it ever gets looked at and they won't have any problem. If it will make you feel better then remove the clutch cover and clean it. The clutch gasket part# is: 11061-0289 and is about $6. Good luck.
502Z125 likes this.
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Fader View Post
And that's why the Kitaco clutch cover with a built-in paper filter is such a popular accessory for the GROM. So GROM owners have to pay an extra $250 for what comes standard on the Z125. Well, it also has a sight glass which is better than our dipstick. Sigh.

https://www.steadygarage.com/store/t...honda-grom-125
Fox Fader likes this.
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

It looks like our clutch covers are set up for a sight glass, like they just never drilled it out for some reason. If you take it off and look at it from the back it is lined up perfectly with the dipstick. This winter maybe a trip to local machine shop. Both the Z and the Grom should have a sight glass, checking with dipstick is such a pain compared to just standing the bike up and looking down every day before starting.
Fox Fader likes this.
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:09 AM

Garage
Stock isn't that much of a pain, but mine is safety wired so a sight glass would have been very welcome to me.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEvilpirate View Post
It looks like our clutch covers are set up for a sight glass, like they just never drilled it out for some reason. If you take it off and look at it from the back it is lined up perfectly with the dipstick. This winter maybe a trip to local machine shop. Both the Z and the Grom should have a sight glass, checking with dipstick is such a pain compared to just standing the bike up and looking down every day before starting.

That was intended for a kickstarter. But you're right that a sight glass would be nice.
Lobot likes this.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

So after my trip I did oil change and pulled clutch cover again to inspect the oil screen. This is 2nd time now. Mileage is 2500. It caught a little more crap but not nearly as much as after the first 700 miles.

Wear on the teeth of the gears looks just like it did at 700 miles which gives me the warm and fuzzies that I don't have any problems there.

It occurred to me when I was inspecting the screen that all the red crap stuck in my screen the first time WAS PIECES OF MY OIL FILTER.

Guys... stay away from K&N filters. They are red. I put one in after about 65 miles when I did the first oil change. That was what was in the screen. After running Kawi filters since no more fibrous crap in the oil screen.

Still some small pieces of metal flakes an what appears to be sand of all things.

I'll pull the clutch cover and check it again at next oil change around 4.5k miles.

For new guys who missed the post the first time these bikes have an oil screen in addition to the oil filter. Get in there and change or clean it if you haven't.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2026.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	21037  
crakerjac likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page