Fluid catch cans for racing? - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zaph

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Fluid catch cans for racing?

Before I dig in and try to reinvent the wheel, what are our racers doing for catch cans on fluids?

How many things have an overflow/tip over drain that needs to be caught in a can for track use?

What about fuel tank vent? Got a one way valve that works?

What kind of can and where did you mount it? If you have specific products that work really well, please suggest/link to them.

This is something I'm going to need to solve, required on the track where I race. Hoping that someone can school me before I reinvent something.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 02:39 PM

The Z125 doesn't generally need a catch can. It's not liquid cooled and it has no carbs, and the crankcase is ventilated into the airbox. I think the only drainage tube is the fuel overflow/vent and that's generally something you don't have to catch.

Regular liquid cooled but fuel injected bikes can usually get away without catch cans also, since they have coolant overflow containers and the crankcase is ventilated to the airbox.

My old carburated supermoto needed catch cans. I had little ones made out of flashlight bodies. A lot of kart tracks have supermotos in mind when they say catch cans are required.

When you talk to the track where you're going, just say "My bike is air cooled and fuel injected" and they will just say OK, no problem.

crakerjac likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The fuel overflow will still require one for me, think it is spelled out in the rules. Mostly I was trying to get an idea of what was needed before I pull any body work off to find hoses. I'll have to rig something up.

Need to look into safety wire to, forgot about the oil filter cover, probably going to need to drill those bolts/nuts and wire them. Otherwise they only really need oil fill and oil drain wired. Banjo bolts seem to be OK as is. Axle nuts can be self locking, and chemical locking (loctite) is allowed for most everything else.

My site:

Youtube channel:

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 06:11 PM

A lot of people have used a Red Bull can as a catch can if you can believe it.

You could probably use a flashlight body like I did and strap it on the inside of the chin fairing with a small pipe clamp or zip tie. It's the one you always get for free at Harbor Freight. Pop out the battery, tap the lights and lens out from the back and if you want push in a washer that's just the right size to fit the hose. (but not a hole so small it's airtight. It's gotta breath)

I have like 10 of these flashlights laying around, hahah.

My kart tracks are pretty forgiving. Safety wire the oil drain bolt and that's it. They do want us to have axle sliders though.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-19-2018, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
The only part I don't have sliders for is the bar ends, need to get something for them.

My site:

Youtube channel:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page