What battery size/model and how often to charge? - Kawasaki Z125 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-05-2019, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

What battery size/model and how often to charge?

Hi Guys,

I don't have access to my Z right now and I am just wondering what is the OEM battery? I think it's a Yuasa FTH4L-BS but I don't have access to my battery to check it.
Anybody know of a drop-in replacement for this battery? I would like lithium but I am okay with AGM or sealed gel or whatever, just something with more CCA.

Also, I have my battery hooked up to a 2-amp battery tender which runs off a WIFI plug. The WIFI plug is scheduled to run on Mondays for 24 hours straight, then the rest of the time, it is off. Is this a good schedule? I don't want to be constantly floating a brand new battery which I think causes sulfation?

I had this schedule for my Z and when I came back to it after a month, I found some dried up battery acid/powder on the chain and on the floor of the garage so I think I am getting sulfation anyways, either from the temperature or from the charger. The garage is air-conditioned but only to 80 degrees or 82 degrees since it's in Florida. The charger is I believe is just some $30 Schumacher from Auto Zone that came with ring terminal adapters which I screwed to the battery, 2 amp rating and again, only runs for 24 hours each week as per my schedule for the WIFI outlet plug.

Is this okay? Please edjumicate me.
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 11:39 AM

I've used a Deltran Battery Tender for many years to keep my motorcycle or scooter battery charged during winter storage (roughly late October to April). I just attach the Battery Tender and let it do its thing. I've never had any battery issues.

Jay
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 01:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGoldstein View Post
I've used a Deltran Battery Tender for many years to keep my motorcycle or scooter battery charged during winter storage (roughly late October to April). I just attach the Battery Tender and let it do its thing. I've never had any battery issues.
+1 Someone might want to correct me if I got this wrong. I believe you're way overcharging the battery MrElusive with a 24 hour charge @ 2 amps. It's only a 3ah battery. Thus the powdery residue left behind from possibly boiling the battery. Most battery tenders are rated at
750ma and shut off when the battery reaches full charge. You're applying a constant 24 hours @2000ma
(2amps) Time to buy a battery tender.

I NEVER MET A BIKE I DIDN'T LIKE
JP

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 10:56 AM

I have a trickle charger in my basement. Over the winter months, I bring all my batteries down to the basement and trickle charge each battery about 24 hours a month. 1st of the month, I start on battery 1, then the next day I move it to battery 2... so on and so forth. 1st of the month, I start the process over again. never had an issue with dead toy batteries.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[This space for rent]
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 04:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crakerjac View Post
I have a trickle charger in my basement. Over the winter months, I bring all my batteries down to the basement and trickle charge each battery about 24 hours a month. 1st of the month, I start on battery 1, then the next day I move it to battery 2... so on and so forth. 1st of the month, I start the process over again. never had an issue with dead toy batteries.
I agree even on a trickle charger I don't keep them plugged in and I have gotten years of life from my batteries. My current one in my gladius has been going 6 years and still strong.

Don't keep them plugged in once topped up.

Ride Safe
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrElusive View Post
Hi Guys,

I don't have access to my Z right now and I am just wondering what is the OEM battery? I think it's a Yuasa FTH4L-BS but I don't have access to my battery to check it.
Anybody know of a drop-in replacement for this battery? I would like lithium but I am okay with AGM or sealed gel or whatever, just something with more CCA.

Also, I have my battery hooked up to a 2-amp battery tender which runs off a WIFI plug. The WIFI plug is scheduled to run on Mondays for 24 hours straight, then the rest of the time, it is off. Is this a good schedule? I don't want to be constantly floating a brand new battery which I think causes sulfation?

I had this schedule for my Z and when I came back to it after a month, I found some dried up battery acid/powder on the chain and on the floor of the garage so I think I am getting sulfation anyways, either from the temperature or from the charger. The garage is air-conditioned but only to 80 degrees or 82 degrees since it's in Florida. The charger is I believe is just some $30 Schumacher from Auto Zone that came with ring terminal adapters which I screwed to the battery, 2 amp rating and again, only runs for 24 hours each week as per my schedule for the WIFI outlet plug.

Is this okay? Please edjumicate me.

Yes it is the FTH4LBS. However, Parts Unlimited has a much cheaper brand which is basically the same as the Yuasa, with a very solid one year warranty and a lot of times will exchange no questions asked. As for a battery tender, go drop about 65 bucks on the Optimate 3 tender. It is a microprocessor unit which will automatically take care of it, test, desulfate, and all that other fun stuff. Also, it will shut off automatically and will turn back on when the battery drops below a certain voltage. It won't just sit there and charge the whole time you've got it plugged in.

Rebel Gears

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Custom rear sprockets for almost anything.

For all your sprocket needs
392 McKinley Ln Crossville TN 38572
931-788-1617

Last edited by Rebel_Gears; 10-09-2019 at 09:30 AM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:50 AM

Garage
YUASA AGM Battery: YTX4L-BS. With a battery tender you'll get at least 5 years out of it.

+1 on the Optimate. They make very good stuff, it never comes back (warranty, customer satisfaction, or otherwise), and I receive very good feedback on it. You need a battery tender. A charger on a wifi switch will always be too much or too little and never the exact amount.

This site is the path of least resistance when it comes to searching battery types: https://www.yuasabatteries.com/
Also, in my opinion it's not worth buying unless it says YUASA on it.

Anything can kill you. Pick something fun.
kawasakibrad.com
Youtube Channel:
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:19 PM

Garage
I would probably buy this one https://amzn.to/2Mu0b4N I have the AGM specific charger now, and it has been good on those batteries, but for regular batteries the 2012 is probably a good choice. Agm version https://amzn.to/2M2JoHl

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 11:56 PM

Garage
Since this has turned into a bit of a battery maintainer discussion, can anyone explain the difference between a $20 trickle and a $150 trickle?

I uh... am asking for a friend... I definitely wouldn't have cheaped out. I... uh... my friend hasn't noticed any appreciable difference between a genuine Battery Tender (TM) and a Black and Decker cheapo.

I of course am operating on a binary scale of "(0) Bike doesn't start" and "(1) Bike starts". It's certainly possible that a high quality unit would return ones for a greater number of years. ʕʘ‿ʘʔ

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 09:10 AM

Garage
The $15 dollar ones that my brother owned left his batteries completely flat and wrecked for two winters in a row. That's why I bought a very expensive one. So far the Harley battery has been in good shape since it has slept for over a year now. The stock Z battery was neglected and not removed until around January, it was completely flat when I pulled it out, not sure it is ever going to be good again. And not sure if the stock battery was AGM or "regular" so I've been using my old Schumacher charger on the normal 2 amp setting. It has some life but a lot of self discharge so I think it is dead.

My site:

Youtube channel:

Last edited by Greg_E; 10-10-2019 at 09:19 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page