What battery size/model and how often to charge? - Page 2 - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 10:58 AM

Garage
Gotcha, less likely to fail is a significant factor, particularly if you are storing your vehicle somewhere away from home. I check my tenders about once per week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
And not sure if the stock battery was AGM or "regular"...
Based on its service position I always assumed AGM, but I similarly cannot confirm.

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
The price of a single wrecked battery makes up for the price of a single good charger is the way I looked at it.

The battery in my Harley is a cheapo from Walmart, made in the USA by Deka who also makes the OEM Harley battery, so far, so good.

I'll probably go lithium in the Z, want the light weight. I'll also probably put a disconnect switch on the battery so it doesn't go flat anymore.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 02:56 PM

Garage
And here I am secretly hoping my $20 charger bricks my OEM Z battery so I can justify replacing it.

Your logic makes sense though. (The big bike has a BMW spec'd trickle charger)

Dropped a gear... . . . . . . . . . . ...still here

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses guys. But I was surprised that there was some powder and residue on the bike and on the ground, when the charger is supposed to have a float mode. So on Sunday night it should kick on via the WIFI plug, charge the battery up to peak voltage, and then go into maintenance mode until the WIFI plug shuts it off the following night.
The battery should not be boiling over like that.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Here is the exact one I bought:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schumach...1248/207123536

I guess it's no good? What am I missing here?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:50 AM Thread Starter

OEM Z125 Battery, buy this if you're on crack:
https://www.revzilla.com/oem/kawasak...h4l-bs-12v-3ah

YUASA Replacement, solid lead acid battery:

MMG Lithium Replacement, Questionable Quality:

Antigravity Lithium Replacement, Top Quality:

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 12:29 PM

Garage
The Schumaker chargers are normally decent, I have a bigger 10 to 2 amp charger from them that has worked for many years now.

Because of my use case, I'd probably go with the MMG lithium. But if you don't need the weight reduction, the Yuasa is probably the way to go. But I will suggest buying it from a local seller, that way if it goes bad during warranty, it is easy to get it replaced.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:51 PM

I had to replace my OEM battery last spring and purchased a Scorpion Brand. I think it was around $25.00 and free shipping. Good quality build and fit exactly like the original. I have Scorpions in my other bikes and they have always lasted as long, if not longer in some cases than the Yuasa. I use both Shumacher and Battery Tender Juniors. I feel the Battery Tenders are a better quality.
dlycan2 and Ando like this.
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 05:43 PM

Garage
The 4 different model Scorpion's in my bikes and my brother's bikes have all had extremely short lives, won't go with another from them.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:45 AM

When it comes to moto batteries, it seems the longevity experience is all over the place. I'm not sure what that says, large variation in manufacturing, crap luck, no idea. I've got 2 scorpions that are going on 8 years old and still perform flawlessly. I've had Yuasa's last seemingly forever and I've had 2 in brand new bikes last only a season and I use maintainers religiously. So who knows I guess. I'll keep using Scorpions as my experience has been good.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page