Scotts Steering damper - Kawasaki Z125 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Scotts Steering damper

Does anybody knows if the Scotts steering damper for the Grom works on the Z125 Pro? Every time I have taken The Z for rides, it seems that the steering feels loose. Any advice on that? Thanks before hand for your answers
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 03:03 PM

Garage
The steering might be better said that it is quick, I don't think you are needing a steering damper. The damper is to prevent head shake (back and forth rapid shaking in an uncontrollable way). I think you'd need to change the geometry a lot before worrying about head shake on these bikes.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
The steering might be better said that it is quick, I don't think you are needing a steering damper. The damper is to prevent head shake (back and forth rapid shaking in an uncontrollable way). I think you'd need to change the geometry a lot before worrying about head shake on these bikes.
Whenever I have ridden this bike as I go at higher speed I find a wobble that is unsettling. The steering seems loose or something. I ride bigger bikes and I have never encountered such. That's the reason I think a damper would help this unsettling movement. Or maybe there's some other adjustment I could do to fix it?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 10:22 PM

Garage
Sounds like something is very wrong, bad tire, bad bearings, loose axle bolt, loose headstock. You'd have to raise the back a lot before it would cause a head shake. As fast as I can get my Z, it never felt like it was shaking.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 07:48 AM
Vendor

To answer your question, the Grom unit will not fit. I agree, check and tighten you stem and axles. Additionally, tire selection will make a HUGE difference in how it feels.

Continually innovating USA made product for the Z125.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball60 View Post
Whenever I have ridden this bike as I go at higher speed I find a wobble that is unsettling. The steering seems loose or something. I ride bigger bikes and I have never encountered such. That's the reason I think a damper would help this unsettling movement. Or maybe there's some other adjustment I could do to fix it?
You might just be realizing what 12" wheels are like at the upper speeds that the Z125 can do. Steering is quick, and to compensate you need to be smooth and relaxed. Before you do anything, try a mental adjustment.

Minor chassis adjustments aren't going to do much, but yes a steering damper (if you could get one to fit) would force some stability at the expense of being a pain in the ass in parking lots.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:14 AM

Never have I ever thought my steering was even remotely loose. Sounds like you have another issue.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 05:34 PM
jh3

is your tire not balanced by chance? aside from what everyone else posted as to possible issues I would maybe get it rebalanced just to verify. had my Z for nearly 2 years with lots of hard riding and never ran into this 'shaking' issue. good luck!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page