It Exists, Inexpensive Throttle Tube Set-up! - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:29 AM Thread Starter

It Exists, Inexpensive Throttle Tube Set-up!

Took a good look at a KLX110 and realized the throttle set-up looked a lot like the Z' s. With no return cable, this helps to keep things simplified. I picked up a set of ODI grips and a klx110 cam, put it on and now open to close is 1/8th of a turn. Didn't take it out on the road, but it felt great in the driveway. I'll report back on Tuesday when I ride it.

'17 Z125 PRO - Candy Lime Green
Shorty LeversSeat Strap DeleteLED City & Tag LightsVagabond Fender Eliminator
90 Valve stems15wt Fork OilZOom Loop ExhaustHD Clutch KitProTaper Mini High w/ 1.25" Risers
ODI Lock-on Grips w/ KLX110 Throttle CamPT420MX ChainEbay SpoolsYoshi RS2 db KillerMictuning H4 LEDOE Intake

'07 Tuono Factory - Red Lion

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Psalm 121
post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 09:17 AM

Garage
Will that cam fit the stock throttle? The other question is, how much fine throttle control do you lose with that short a range of motion? My 18 already has a quarter turn throttle.

My site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Youtube channel:
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
Will that cam fit the stock throttle? The other question is, how much fine throttle control do you lose with that short a range of motion? My 18 already has a quarter turn throttle.
It will not. Our tubes don't have detachable cams. A klx110 throttle tube can be had for less than $10.
I've ridden many dirt bikes that have these short throttles, but I never thought about it while riding them. Never thought that the short throttle made the bike hard to ride on the street. BTW, one vloger stated that the kx100 is the best wheelie bike... which has the same OE cam as the klx110.

90 Valve stems15wt Fork OilZOom Loop ExhaustHD Clutch KitProTaper Mini High w/ 1.25" Risers
ODI Lock-on Grips w/ KLX110 Throttle CamPT420MX ChainEbay SpoolsYoshi RS2 db KillerMictuning H4 LEDOE Intake

Psalm 121

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 12:58 PM

Garage
My concern would be going around part throttle corners where you might lose the throttle control needed to get around them quickly. There's a lot of body motion on the track that can and sometimes does translate into the throttle being turned by mistake.

That said, these machines are so low in power that the throttle is almost binary, and less turning would be easier.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
My concern would be going around part throttle corners where you might lose the throttle control needed to get around them quickly. There's a lot of body motion on the track that can and sometimes does translate into the throttle being turned by mistake.

That said, these machines are so low in power that the throttle is almost binary, and less turning would be easier.
You're over thinking this

Psalm 121
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:38 PM

Garage
Possibly.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Track bike guys like:
throttle cable play: 0
R1 throttle tube=72 degrees
Or
R6 tube= 60 degrees
Not for all, but ... You know where I'm going.

Psalm 121
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 06:59 PM

Garage
I think a third of a turn might be much better than quarter turn, just thinking an 1/8 might be too small for road racing. Guess you'll find out soon enough.

My site:

Youtube channel:
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Simply put, one of the best things I could have done for this bike for the money. I suggest adding this up top to the list of what mods to do first.

Psalm 121
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Fader View Post
Simply put, one of the best things I could have done for this bike for the money. I suggest adding this up top to the list of what mods to do first.

About what did the ODI set-up cost? I've been considering the G2 throttle but haven't spent the money on it yet. I've raced the Z on track in endurance racing and the quick turn throttle was MUCH better than stock. Also, does it work w/ the stock switch housing?

Last edited by scottmustmoto; 06-26-2018 at 10:46 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page