Z125 vs Honda grom? - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Z125 vs Honda grom?

Hey guys I'm new to riding motorcycles on the rode. But I grew up on dirtbikes and quads. I'm looking into either getting the z or the 2017 grom when it becomes available. No where around me has the new grom yet, but ther are two places with the z. My main concern is I heard the Honda is more dependable and will last longer granted you take care of it. Is this something that is the truth? I have little to no experience with Kawasaki. I also have been reading a lot and it seems like the grom gets better mileage. I will be using this bike to commute 25 miles each way , and the whole reason for me looking into these bikes is to save on gas money. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:11 PM

I put over 1000 miles on mine in the first month of ownership and haven't had an issue with it yet. It all depends on how well you take care of it. Hondas are known for reliability but when you start adding aftermarket parts that reliability decreases. That's the same with the Kawasaki. It's honestly going to be a choice of preference.

17 z125
09 Honda Ruckus
97 Honda shadow
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 12:24 PM

I think Kawasaki is just as reliable and both are from a Japanese company. Really down to how well you take care of it and which design you like more. Have you tried riding on the Z125 yet?
blackx09 and homepc2 like this.

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 01:25 PM

Your going to commute to work 50 miles a day on a z or grom? I'm guessing highway will occupy a good many of these miles? They simply cant sustain highway speeds needed. They can both punch over 60mph on a perfect flat, but a slight hill or wind will bring that down to low 50s really quick. I would take my z out on the highway, but only for a short period of time a few kilometres or so and then I would exit. Also as for reliability, I think you will find they will be virtually the same.
blackx09, Zman and homepc2 like this.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

I have not had a chance to ride either one. I have only sat on a z. I watched a ton of videos on them and did as much research as I could. Obviously the z doesn't have the aftermarket the grom does, but it will eventually. How about the mileage difference? People with the grom claim around 120 mpg?
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevi View Post
Your going to commute to work 50 miles a day on a z or grom? I'm guessing highway will occupy a good many of these miles? They simply cant sustain highway speeds needed. They can both punch over 60mph on a perfect flat, but a slight hill or wind will bring that down to low 50s really quick. I would take my z out on the highway, but only for a short period of time a few kilometres or so and then I would exit. Also as for reliability, I think you will find they will be virtually the same.
The highway isn't a huge part of it. I am on a highway( by which I mean 60-65 speed limit) for mabye 2-3 miles. Most of the commute is spent in the 40 mph-55 speed limit range. I know it may take me longer to get there. But I am also looking to slow down a little bit an enjoy life. I feel like everyday is spent by rushing here or rushing there. I just want something to save on gas, be a blast to ride. And me not regret the purchase
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

What made you guys get the z over the grom?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 02:32 PM

Garage
There were no Groms in my area. I can't speak on reliability because the Z is new to the world.

But I also like the style over the grom. And I'm a honda fan boy. Lol

It's all just a ride... 👌CHEAH!!!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 05:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maresma14 View Post
Hey guys I'm new to riding motorcycles on the rode. But I grew up on dirtbikes and quads. I'm looking into either getting the z or the 2017 grom when it becomes available. No where around me has the new grom yet, but ther are two places with the z. My main concern is I heard the Honda is more dependable and will last longer granted you take care of it. Is this something that is the truth? I have little to no experience with Kawasaki. I also have been reading a lot and it seems like the grom gets better mileage. I will be using this bike to commute 25 miles each way , and the whole reason for me looking into these bikes is to save on gas money. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
you'll definitely save gas money on either one..but you'll end up spending more money on aftermarket parts lol..😁
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman1627 View Post
you'll definitely save gas money on either one..but you'll end up spending more money on aftermarket parts lol..😁
If the grom gets the mileage everyone says they do, then the amount of money I save on gas will pay for the bike every month. I found a 2015 with a graffic kit for 4K out the door everything included. Crate fee, tags, tax. It seems a little high reading how much people pay out the door for their bikes. Exp since the tag on this 2015 grom is 2888

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page