How have/did you "break in" your Z125? - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 29Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

How have/did you "break in" your Z125?

O.K. The Mama Kaw owner's manual break in guidance, over 40 years old I might add, is a bunch of rubbish for the little Z ("no more than 4K rpm's until 600 miles......." yawdy yawdy yawdy). And IMHO has always been about mitigating warranty claims. That too a bunch of rubbish.

So, what have you mini hooligans been practicing for "break in" upon taking delivery of your Z125? Follow the owner's manual? Or: turn the key; push the button; and then WFO after that?
homepc2 likes this.

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 03:14 PM

Garage
I rode and continue to ride the piss out of it. I have to rev over 6k where I live or I will get hit.

But I didnt and still don't keep it wrapped out for too long.
blackx09 and homepc2 like this.

It's all just a ride... 👌CHEAH!!!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 03:40 PM

I'd say it's broken in.. I just tried to stay off the rev limiter and drove it like I normally do for the first 1000.. Now it's wot throttle whenever.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	216.6 KB
ID:	2649  
Bludc2 and homepc2 like this.

(insert clever signature here)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 03:56 PM

I stayed at or under 7-8k rpms for the first 100 miles then changed the oil. From 100-500 miles it was varying rpms up to red line but never kept it at 9-10k rpms for very long aka no highways. I changed the oil again at 500 miles, I will only stay on highways for maybe 5-10 miles max before I'll get off. After I hit 1k miles I wont worry how long I'm cruising at 10k rpms. I also plan on changing the oil every 500-600 miles as I'm always running it 7-10k rpms, and the fact that its so cheap to change it.
homepc2 likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:38 PM

From a rider perspective completely unrelated to the company (do not take this as advice or standards) BUT we rang the **** out of ours and put it under a bunch of "real-world" riding conditions until 950 miles. At 950 we did the VERY FIRST oil change and this bike is still performing great. It gets up to 65ish with ease and we've had it hit the rev limiter a few times. It's also seen the track a handful of times so there's that.

Please note we like to break things and fix them so please do not take this as advice or anything of the like. This was what we did on a rider standpoint and we do not recommend anyone following our break-in procedure. We are not responsible for damages to your bike.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSTAgent View Post
From a rider perspective completely unrelated to the company (do not take this as advice or standards) BUT we rang the **** out of ours and put it under a bunch of "real-world" riding conditions until 950 miles. At 950 we did the VERY FIRST oil change and this bike is still performing great. It gets up to 65ish with ease and we've had it hit the rev limiter a few times. It's also seen the track a handful of times so there's that.

Please note we like to break things and fix them so please do not take this as advice or anything of the like. This was what we did on a rider standpoint and we do not recommend anyone following our break-in procedure. We are not responsible for damages to your bike.
A most excellent use of the "Don't try this at home" warning.
TSTAgent and homepc2 like this.

Never Trust The Living! Pull the Thread and See What Unravels....
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangShui View Post
A most excellent use of the "Don't try this at home" warning.
Absolutely! We don't want angry Z owners showing up at the shop saying we told them to try this because we did it. Haha!

PLEASE FOLLOW THE PROPER BREAK-IN PROCEDURE PER THE DEALERS INSTRUCTIONS/OWNERS MANUAL.

(That should protect us completely)
homepc2 likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

I plan to ride it and break it in the way I plan.............well...............to ride it. And a 4 year extended warranty is only $300 from the dealer I bought lil' Pepe from.

EDIT: I'm only doing it this way cuz I was told to do it this way. Hmmmm. Now..........who told me????? Hmmmm. Who???????

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 05:33 PM

1. Ride the piss out of it.
2. Change the oil at 600 miles.
3. Ride the piss out of it for 3500.
4. Change the oil
5. Go to 3

Kawasaki's "break-in" procedure is impossible to maintain on this bike. Most will hit the rev limiter before it leaves the dealer's parking lot.
homepc2 and greedy626 like this.

2016 Suzuki V-Strom XT
2017 Kawasaki Z125 Pro

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

The published Mama Kaw break in procedure is designed for one and one thing only: to minimize warranty claims that Mama Kaw will have to pay for.

Ever wonder why car manufacturers scare people into "needing" to change their timing belt at 75,000 miles when their warranty is for 100,000 miles? Yea. That's why.

Lil Pepe will be run/ridden/rode like a freshman at the Delta Delta Delta sorority!!!!
Bludc2 and homepc2 like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page