Kawasaki Z125 Forum banner

Turbo z125 build.

69K views 92 replies 20 participants last post by  ameennau000 
#1 ·
Been missing in action for awhile but ive been working on boosting the z125. wasn't a particularly hard job just had to do allot of welding and such and the bike having no room whats so ever for the turbo so turbo placement wasn't ideal for what i would've liked but it should work fine. i dont have a charge pipe made so no test drive yet. the bazzaz should work for some low psi pulls with a kx250f injector. I am considering a microsquirt ecu since i would have 100% control over everything. here is a couple pics. turbo is a t15 and its pretty small.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
hooked up a charge pipe nothing fancy test drove and it makes like 3-4lbs but thats it. this turbo is small but im going to change it to a vz31 turbo and they are she size of a dollar bill and ill be able to run more boost. but over all boost on the z seems promising my air fuel ratio was 11.0 with no boost and with boost the 11.0 turned to 12.5. sad part is the turbo dont spool till 6k but it rips a lil bit deffenitly clears up the dead spot at 7k

#11 ·
Thanks.. I will keep everyone up to date as much as possible. I dont know if i would ever make a jig to make duplicates of this particular setup but i wouldn't rule it out but i would assume since all the hard works done making the kit from scratch the next one should be easier.

#12 ·
small updates for today. couldn't do much welding i ran outa gas. so decided to mount my gauges in a different spot. pretty much im just waiting on the turbo everything else i have. shouldn't be much longer to get this finished. after some pulls i am going to get an intercooler and start welding that up and running all the pipes. the bend to the throttle body i think is going to be the hardest part but itl be pretty trick when its done. I am planning on bolting the blow off to the side of the intercooler the blow off valve i have super loud so it should sound like a big rig lettin off the air brake.

Attachments

#13 ·
vz21 turbo is on. made 6psi and ran fine. i have a boost leak somewhere thats holding me back. turbo spools almost instantly. still needs some bugs worked out with little things like port matching the flanges for the exhaust where the turbo meets up and making the bend to get the downpipe and exhaust mated up as on piece. gonna get it to work saturday and do a boost leak check and then go from there. other than that its pretty fun.

Attachments

#16 ·
ive determined there is no boot leaks. i did some more tuning with the bazaaz got it to pick up better. i feel the bazaaz is really holding me back from reaching my potential mainly because i have no timing control. as of now i am on 6psi at a 13.1afr under boost. so far boost for the z seems promising i will keep experimenting with new things and report.

#20 ·
Update. the dcr cam is terrible for boost causing the boost to build slow and drop off as it gets closer to redline. Now i had saved my tb race cam thats got massive lobes and gobs of duration hoping to get more air out the exhaust and to my surprise it worked. boost builds a tad sooner but when it builds it builds more consitant with rpm and i gained 2 more psi everywhere. i leaned the bike out to 14.0 to get the turbo spooling then slowly richen it up to 12.0 as boost builds and its allot better and you can really feel the turbo come online.

#22 ·
it would be a step but a small step. im going to buy a microsquirt ecu and do away with a piggyback systems to have full control over everything to get the most out of this setup plus ill have antilag set up so i can build boost off the line. with microsquirt ill be able to set the wideband up to run in closed loop so it will keep my air fuel in check.

#26 ·
this is the microsquirt ecu cost was 350$. it will be here tomorrow and i will be wiring it in. The good news the charging system and starting system is on its own circuit so i dont have to worry about any ecu inputs for that making my job easier. the wiring i have a stack of papers from the microsquirt forums and the z125 service book and both computers work the same so the wiring should be simple and i will be converting to a 2006 chevy coil pack wich is a 4 wire coil so ill have plenty of spark with low noise to keep my crank signal clean going to the ecu. the only thing i wont be able to hook up is the idle air valve becuase its a stepper type so ill need to buy a driver for it to function correctly. other than that ill have a full standalone ecu with all the fun stuff like antilag.

Attachments

#27 ·
Missed the mail man today so no ecu. Going to pick it up tomorrow on lunch. But for now wired up the ls1 coil pack circuit and cut and labled the wires for the ecu so tomorrow is all i have to do is solder some wires and thats it. i will probably change my temp sensors over to gm sensors. wont be running a map sensor it will all be tps based.

Attachments

#30 ·
UPDATE!!!! the wiring was easy as heck. i had some issues with my computer and almost bricked my unit but updated the firmware and 2 laptops later ecu is ok got a little bit of a setback but so far i got it to make fuel and spark with the ecu now i just have to get the timing right and i should have it running.

Attachments

#31 ·
Update!!! got it to run still have to play with my settings some more since the ecu looses sync with the crank sensor and thats whats stopping it from staying running. all the temp sensors are working. hopefully tomorrow i get something solid and get a video up. but here is the ecu in its hole. it fits where the stock one was

Attachments

#33 ·
i did that. i got a clean signal but the stock flywheel has 22 teeth and 1 missing and for some reason it wont let me input it in without the unit throwing an error code. i can type in 24-2 and it will start but it will run like crap no matter wich way i swing the offset so im at a standstill but im not completly screwed so i may have to put a 36-1 trigger wheel issue is the smallest 36-1 trigger wheel is 6 inches

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.