Shifting Issues - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Shifting Issues

I currently have about 280 miles on the Z. I have noticed every now and then, I will have trouble downshifting from 4th gear. I will engage the clutch and press down on the shift lever. I can feel the shift lever go down but it did not actually shift down. I will then have to press down 6 or 7 more times before the shifting actually engages.

I am trying to follow the manual's break in advice (go under 4K RPM), giving me a top speed of 29MPH in 4th position. In the instances that I have had trouble, I was going about this speed.

I have taken the bike to the dealer but they only checked the outside and said there is nothing wrong with the bike. They said if I am going 29MPH, the bike is going to have trouble down shifting and that this is normal.

I don't buy that at all and was wondering if anyone here would have insight into the problem.
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:14 AM

Garage
I have no problem down shifting at any speed. But if I'm completely stopped (like at a light) and I'm I neutral I have a hard time for it to go into first. Like you said I can feel the lever going down. But no gear change.

I have to roll the bike forward or backward while pressing down on the shifter. Kinda silly.
blackx09 likes this.

It's all just a ride... 👌CHEAH!!!
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludc2 View Post
I have no problem down shifting at any speed. But if I'm completely stopped (like at a light) and I'm I neutral I have a hard time for it to go into first. Like you said I can feel the lever going down. But no gear change.

I have to roll the bike forward or backward while pressing down on the shifter. Kinda silly.
I have not had any issues going from neutral to first. There was a time where the neutral light showed it was engaged but it was actually still in first and I stalled at a traffic light.Has only happened once though.
blackx09 likes this.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:59 PM

All new bikes will have some "teething" issues as they get going and start to break in. Remember the lil bike has a wet clutch and the oil can be a factor. Not saying it is. Have you changed the factory oil in the miles that you've had it? Is there a little bit of play in your clutch lever such that when you pull it in it travels, say, 1/4" before it begins to grab and engage?

I'm not completely useless. I can always be used as a bad example.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 03:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGovZ125 View Post
All new bikes will have some "teething" issues as they get going and start to break in. Remember the lil bike has a wet clutch and the oil can be a factor. Not saying it is. Have you changed the factory oil in the miles that you've had it? Is there a little bit of play in your clutch lever such that when you pull it in it travels, say, 1/4" before it begins to grab and engage?
I'd say mine has like a 1/2" of travel before it engages. I'll look into to the oil when I do my first oil chang . Thanks!

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 04:29 PM

Adjust the clutch! Issues should go away! Good luck. That's way too much clutch lever travel.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 06:07 PM

If you are just dabbing at the gear lever, try leaving pressure on the pedal for a short while and let the clutch out in between downshifts while still having pressure on the gear pedal. Its all a matter of timing, but this technique allows the gear dogs to engage fully.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 07:56 PM

About 350 miles here. No probs downshifting, but sometimes won't go into 4th on first try. Hopefully just an adjustment maybe?
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:28 PM

Garage
I've had the won't go into 4th a few times. But I'm fiddling with the clutch cable to see if I can get it right.
dodge likes this.

post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will have to make those tweaks once I get it back from the dealership.

I have a 2008 Kawasaki Versys and it has never had these kinds of issues in the year I have had it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page