Z Preferred Sprocket - Kawasaki Z125 Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

Z Preferred Sprocket

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on sprocket size. I've got the 15 tooth on at the moment, and I guess I feel like it's got it's pros and cons. Definitely seems to correct the speedometer and give it a few more mph on the top end. It's not as zippy at the 14 tooth, but then again I feel like the 14 is constantly rev limit pretty quick. Your thoughts?

(insert clever signature here)
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 01:18 AM

Wink

@TomAndToys would be the guy to talk to about this
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Sabo View Post
@TomAndToys would be the guy to talk to about this
Lol I actually thought that was you're signature
AJ Sabo likes this.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 10:28 AM
Vendor

There is no wrong answer, and it's all personal preference and application... We primarily ride in the mountain curves, Deal's Gap etc, so we prefer slightly lower gearing for the added snap off a corner. Somebody commuting may well go the other direction to keep RPMs down a bit. Sprocket changes are also handy to return to your starting point after a tire size change, such as going to the 140 rear, which effectively gears the bike much taller. Keep in mind changing rears (generically speaking) allows you to alter gearing in steps a 1/3rd the size of changing the front. We sell roughly equal volumes of front and rear sprockets for what that's worth...
Bludc2, GromStomper and Procinctu like this.

Continually innovating USA made product for the Z125.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Yea being out here in TX, especially where I am, we have lots of long flat roads, so I'm liking the 15 for my commutes. I did notice i get a bit more chain rub on the plastic sprocket cover with the 15 though. But I'm guessing it's just a trade off lol. Doesn't really bother me other than the noise. Figure it'll go away eventually. I made sure chain tension and alignment were all good and tried a ride up the road with the plastic off and didn't hear anything, so Im positive it's just the chain slightly hitting that plastic.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GromStomper View Post
Yea being out here in TX, especially where I am, we have lots of long flat roads, so I'm liking the 15 for my commutes. I did notice i get a bit more chain rub on the plastic sprocket cover with the 15 though. But I'm guessing it's just a trade off lol. Doesn't really bother me other than the noise. Figure it'll go away eventually. I made sure chain tension and alignment were all good and tried a ride up the road with the plastic off and didn't hear anything, so Im positive it's just the chain slightly hitting that plastic.
If anyone is thinking of going smaller for better off the line acceleration, note that there might be issues going that way.

I tried a 13T on my Grom and had to switch back to the stock 14T immediately because of chain rubbing on the plastic swingarm pad.
I DO have an aftermarket alloy swingarm on my Grom, which may have made things worse....
GromStomper likes this.

Never Trust The Living! Pull the Thread and See What Unravels....
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangShui View Post
If anyone is thinking of going smaller for better off the line acceleration, note that there might be issues going that way.

I tried a 13T on my Grom and had to switch back to the stock 14T immediately because of chain rubbing on the plastic swingarm pad.
I DO have an aftermarket alloy swingarm on my Grom, which may have made things worse....
I took off the plastic cover when I got home today and busted out the trusty file. I thinned out the approx 1/2 in area where it was touching, (there were obvious marks) leaving just enough to keep the rest of the area clean and such and voila! No more chain rub. It was literally like 1/2 a millimeter too thick for the 15t in that spot but all good now. That annoying sound is gone and I'm happy as a clam. Now if my exhaust would just get here..

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:49 AM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangShui View Post

We run a 13. Non-issue.
FangShui likes this.

Continually innovating USA made product for the Z125.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnnthbx View Post
We run a 13. Non-issue.
Good to know.

Correction on my post. Stock front sprocket on the Grom is 15T...
I went down to a 14T and it rubbed badly.

Never Trust The Living! Pull the Thread and See What Unravels....
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 12:55 AM

Sprockets

Today I put a 38 tooth sprocket on my z125.. and now this thing is so much fun..
I could wheelie it in first sitting down before and 2nd standing up but now 2nd gear sit downs are so easy.. and the thing is actually kinda fast lol before it was slow..
I haven't really tried to see what the top speed is yet as I was just popping wheelies around my neighborhood. But I doubt it will go past 55.
I'm gonna get a 13 tooth front sprocket next.
I first ordered my sprocket from England off ebay and it arrived and it did not fit.. the inside diameter of the sprocket was a half inch bigger than stock.. so be careful if your order from there.. we still trying to figure out why.. maybe they have a different bike called a z125 or something.

5th gear sprockets is now going to be making sprockets in all sizes colors and patterns. So hit them up if you need a sprocket of any size.

Now I'm gonna go race my friend on his grom.. he doesn't know about my new sprocket. We raced on Saturday and he has a grom with cam I take and yosh exhaust and my gf rode the z and she smoked him.. and that was all stock z125..
But she did weigh less..
With me on it he beat me by half a bike length and we were both flat out at the end.
So now if I make the race a little bit shorter I'll definitely beat him..
When I get intake and exhaust I'm sure this thing will smoke him.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page